Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Arms Race to Grow World's Hottest Pepper Goes Nuclear

     Probably not known to the majority of the world but there is "this global community of chili growers who are competing ruthlessly with each other."  They are competing for the world's hottest pepper!  They actually keep a record of this in the Guinness Book of World Records.  The hottness level is measured by Scoville marks.  "After 800,000 Scoville units, you've got to be careful" says Alex de Wit, a co-owner of the Chilli Factory in Morisset, Australia.  Apparently, there is a pepper that that has over 2 million Scoville marks...this is the same strength as police-grade pepper spray
.  Wow!
     I definitely enjoy hot and spicy foods.  I am the person that always asks for the hot sauce at restaurants.  However, I think this article puts the hotness and spicy-ness on a whole new level.  I can't even image what some of these peppers must taste like.  I found this article extremely interesting as I had no idea this was such a competition among chili makers.  I know there are always tons of hot sauces to choose from but little did I know that the levels of hotness played such a key part in creating them.

Article Website

No comments:

Post a Comment