Saturday, February 9, 2013

Coffee Demand Shifts Down-Market

     As a daily coffee drinker this article stopped me in my tracks as I flipped through the Wall Street Journal.  This article discusses the decline of demand for the more costly Arabica beans and the lower cost of the Robusta beans.
     Manufacturers are the main reason behind this switch in demand I feel.  The robusta has a lower cost so manufacturers are taking advantage of that by pushing the robusta onto the consumers.  Some consumers like myself where any coffee will do as long as it's coffee will not be opposed to this involuntary push towards robusta beans. However, I know there are many coffee aficionados out there who will only drink the best which is Arabica.
     I agree with the article where the demand for the two will become closer together especially with the way the economy is.  It will be interesting to see the outcome in the long run.

Article Website

1 comment:

  1. I love coffee! But to be honest, i dont know if i can tell the difference between high quality or low-quality beans. How are you supposed to know, at a Starbucks or Dunkin for example, what kind of beans are used in the coffee? Maybe this is obvious to most and i am just oblivious but if it tastes good that's all that matters to me. Also, I tend to make my coffee selection based on whether i feel like having flavored coffee or 'plain' coffee on a given day.

    Thanks for sharing this article, Kendyl!

    ReplyDelete