This article discusses how real-estate agents use certain smells while conducting open houses. There was also a study done in Switzerland on how different aromas affected what one purchased while shoppping at the store.
I found this article to be very interesting and have personally had some hands on experience with this. While in college I worked part time at a real estate office and would help out at open houses once in a while. One realtor would always light a candle in the living room and an upstairs bathroom. I always thought it was just so the house smelled nice. I did not know there was an underlying meaning.
Another job I had in college was working at a department store, specifically the swimsuit department. In summer there would be these machines on the floor and around the department that sprayed out a sun tan lotion spray smell. So while you shopped you had a feeling you were on the beach. Many customers would comment on the smell and how they enjoyed it. I think overall this tactic worked in making the sale.
Article Website

No comments:
Post a Comment